Established in 1988 by the late J.W. “Stan” Stafford and Lois Smith Stafford, the Stafford Family Charitable Trust has generously distributed over $1.5 million in gifts to local charitable organizations that benefit the Central Missouri community.
The Stafford’s owned and operated the Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of Columbia, Inc. for over 60 years until they sold the company in 1986. Following the sale of the business, the Stafford’s established the trust as a way to express appreciation for support they received from the community over the years. “We had a lot to be thankful for,” Stan Stafford said. “We decided to give some of it back.”
The Stafford’s philanthropy has touched all three local college campuses, including funding for the Columbia College Library, Stephens College restoration of its parlors, and University of Missouri School of Medicine. Gifts have also been made to numerous children’s/family-oriented organizations, such as Camp Hickory Hill, Rainbow House and Salvation Army. Lois Stafford would say, “We made all our money in the community. We need to help the people here.”
In general, the trust distributes over $100,000 each year via the Selection Committee which meets every February and August. The Selection Committee consists of family members John Stafford (son), Brenda Stafford (daughter-in-law), Gene Koepke (son-in-law), Laura Koepke (granddaughter), Mark Koepke (grandson), Joan Dyer (granddaughter) and Sara Stafford (granddaughter). Past members include the late Fran Koepke (daughter) and Robert C. Smith (family friend). Both Fran and Robert were on the committee since its inception.
- Contributions will be limited to those charitable causes and institutions servicing the Central Missouri area. (Audrain, Boone, Callaway, Cole, Cooper, Howard, Miller, Moniteau, Monroe, Randolph & Osage counties)
- Contributions are limited to organizations that are exempt from federal income tax.
- Requests for capital funds will receive primary consideration.
- Applications shall be in writing & may be submitted at any time to the Trustee, Landmark Bank. NOTE: Proposals must be submitted by December 31st in order to be considered at the February meeting and by June 30th to be considered at the August meeting.
- Complete application and print.
- Review “Attachments Required” section and send with application to the address below. If any questions, please call 573-441-2876.
The Stafford Family Charitable Trust
801 East Broadway
Columbia, MO 65201